Day 5: Sausage Roll Reviewsday
Day 5 and Reviewsday today is all about the sausage roll! Love a sausage roll!! They are a delicious British treat and Chris and I miss them so much when we’re not over there. So I took it upon myself to find a great sausage roll recipe for us and I found one!
Well, sort of…
There were several sausage roll recipes to look at on a quick Google search but there wasn’t really one recipe that everyone agreed on. So, this is really a mismatched sort of Sariah’s/sort of the internet’s recipe for sausage rolls.
1 package frozen puff pastry
1lb breakfast sausage (I used Jimmy Dean All Natural Regular sausage meat)
1/ 4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1. Thaw your puff pastry until it is soft enough to easily roll out.
2. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place parchment paper on a half sheet pan.
3. Roll puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface.
4. Put the pork sausage in a bowl and mix with nutmeg until distributed evenly.
5. Along the edge of the puff pastry (any edge) create a log of sausage about the diameter of a nickel. Roll the pastry so the sausage is incased, and then seal together with your beaten egg.
6. Cut the log into whatever sized pieces you want. Brush with egg wash on the top and cut a few slits across the top of the pastry.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Serve warm or, my preferred way, cold. Store in the fridge up to five days in an airtight container.