Apple And Sausage Pasties
Apple and Sausage Pasties
1 1/ 2 C apples, diced (170g) (about three small)
1 C sweet potato, diced (125g)
1 bratwurst sausage (145g)
1/ 2 C goat cheese (75g)
1 small lime
2 1/ 4 C flour
1/ 2 C + 2 tbsp water, cold
1/ 2 C shortening, cold
1 tsp salt
1. Set your oven’s rack to the lowest setting and preheat oven to warm, or its lowest temperature.
2. Squeeze the juice from your lime over the diced apples.
3. Using baking paper, line a half sheet pan. Spread diced apple pieces over the prepared pan.
4. Bake apple pieces for 30 minutes to lose some of their moisture. Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (about 175 Celsius).
6. Using baking paper, line a half sheet pan. Spread diced sweet potato over the prepared pan. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over potato.
7. Bake sweet potato pieces for 30 minutes. Set aside
8. Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Once heated add a small about of butter to just coat the bottom of the pan.
9. Remove the sausage from its casing and cook until browned.
10. Combine apple, roasted potato, sausage and goat cheese in a bowl. Set aside.
11. Using baking paper, line a baking sheet.
12. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
13. In a medium bowl combine all crust ingredients quickly and with as little kneading as possible, until it just stays together. This will prevent the ingredients from heating up too much and make for a flaky crust.
14. Roll dough out on a clean floured surface until the thickness of a pound coin (about three millimeters).
15. Using a knife, cut the dough into four equal sections.
16. Fill a small cup with water and use it to wet the edges of your pastry. (You will not need to use much water to do this.)
17. Measure a heaped half cup of filling and heap onto one side of your dough rectangle, noting that you will be folding the dough “hot dog” style. (You can also just divide the filling into four.)
18. Fold the dough to seal it together. Beat your egg with a tablespoon of water and, using a pastry brush, brush it over the folded pasties. Cut two or three small slits on top of the pastry to allow steam to escape while cooking.
19. Place the four pasties on your prepared baking sheet.
20. Bake for 20-25 mins until the pasties are golden. Enjoy warm or cold!