Orange & Cinnamon Bread Pudding
It’s Day 7 and it’s time to talk about holiday breakfasts. When family and friends gather around the house to visit, or even if it’s just you and a partner on Christmas morning, it’s nice to have a special breakfast to celebrate the holidays.
This Orange and Cinnamon Bread Pudding is just the thing to start your day in a festive way! You can make it the night before or the morning of and it doesn’t require much work.
I used Naked Bread’s Potato bread and liked that, but you can use whatever bread you want!
Orange and Cinnamon Bread Pudding
Prep time: about 20 mins
Inactive time: 1hr 35 mins
Servings: about 4
Bread, cut into 2in pieces (about 7 cups worth)
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1 cup cream or eggnog
1/ 4 cup orange marmalade
Zest from 1 orange
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp honey
3 egg yolks
1 tbsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and bake bread pieces on a half sheet pan for 15 minutes.
2. Put cinnamon, vanilla, milk, cream, marmalade, salt, zest, butter and honey in a saucepan, constantly stirring, on medium high heat until it boils. (Watch for it! The milk WILL overflow if you don’t take it off the hob right when it starts boiling.) Take the saucepan off the heat.
3. Put three egg yolks in a jug and add 1/ 4 cup of the cream mixture to the eggs SLOWLY while mixing rapidly with a whisk or spoon. If you don’t do this slowly the eggs will scramble. Add 1 cup of the cream mixture in this way and then pour the contents of the jug into your saucepan.
4. Combine the bread and liquid in a bowl and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit once again and grease whatever baking container you wish to use. Using a bigger container, like a 9X13 pan, would make more of the pieces a bit crunchy, while using a smaller container will give you more custard consistency. (I used a 3 1/ 2 qt enameled dutch oven)
6. Put the bread mixture in your baking pan of choice and sprinkle the sugar over top.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until liquid appears mostly set. It’s okay if there are a couple pockets of liquid still bubbling.
8. Let cool at least 20 minutes and enjoy!