Baked Yeast Donuts
I like donuts. They’re one of those guilty treats you have once in a blue moon that just make things a little fun.
I don’t really like making donuts. I enjoy dealing with the dough but frying them is a whole other story. It’s too much of a hassle, and I’m too cheap to waste a whole bottle of oil on a few fried treats.
That’s where the baked yeast donut comes in! This recipe doesn’t require any special pans or tools, like most baked donuts do. I found these also have a taste that fried don’t does, where other baked yeasted donut recipes I’ve tried do not. I have been working at getting this recipe a long time and I hope you enjoy it!
Baked Yeast Donuts
2 cups plain flour
1 1/ 2 cups cake flour
6 tbsp sugar
1 packet yeast
1/ 2 tsp sea salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs + 1 yolk
3 tbsp unsalted butter (soft)
2 tbsp grape seed oil (or canola)
Extra butter for dipping
3 cups icing sugar
1/ 2 cup milk
1/ 2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1. Combine all wet dough ingredients in a bowl or measuring jug. Add the yeast and let sit for ten minutes.
2. In a large bowl combine all remaining dough ingredients, then incorporate the wet ingredients. Knead with a dough hook, or by hand, until a smooth dough (between five to ten minutes).
3. Place dough into a greased bowl and let rise at least one and a half hours, and up to three hours.
4. Roll dough out to be about half an inch thick and cut into circles at about 2 1/ 2 inches in diameter. Cover and let rise 30 minutes.
5. Lightly grease a baking sheet and preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Melt the extra butter you have for dipping by putting it into a microwave safe container and heating it up in ten second bursts.
7. Poke a hole into each dough round, dip into the melted butter and place on prepared baking sheet. Leave a few inches between each donut.
8. Bake donuts for 10-15 minutes (flipping halfway through), until the donuts start turning a light golden color.
9. Prepare the glaze while letting the donuts cool. Combine all glaze ingredients and pour over the cooled donuts.